Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wishful Thinking

This was a book inspired by a friend. It's a concertina style book. The spine is a narrow folded paper, the folds are only about an inch deep. The inside of the spine is decorated with pastels, rubber stamps, and different colored inks. The pages are added in with double stick tape. The covers are made with book board and covered with book cloth which I decorated with a leaf stamp (black ink and bleach).

The string on the left side is attached to the inside of the cover and pushed out through a hole to the front side. It is tied together across the back of the book and is used to keep the spine together so the book doesn't fall all the way open and risk tearing. It's mostly decorative but does have a functional purpose.







I found a fantastic picture of a Gerber Daisy by Jon Sullivan. I wanted to make the book as if you were pulling petals off the flower, but I didn't want to redraw the picture over and over.

I like using GIMP which is a free photo work shopping program. I absolutely love this thing, the set up is great.

So I opened the original photo in GIMP and took out the color and made it into a line drawing.



After, I erased one petal at a time and saved a copy. Finally, I set up the pages in Word and printed them off on Aquabee Marker Paper.



I taped the "He loves me" pages to the colored side of the center fold spine and the "He loves me not" to the blank sides.

I colored in the stems throughout first using YG45 and then on the left side, YG67 for some shadow. Then I added the yellow centers with Y06.

After, I went through and colored the petals with R22. Then I added RV25 in the centers of each petal and went over with a little of the blender for highlights.





Lets skip down a few pages...





I think you get the idea...





And the last page is printed on velum with the listing of materials, credits, etc.







No comments:

Post a Comment