Saturday, March 14, 2009

Dragons

The assignment was to create a folded book. In other words, folded paper that is adhered to board covers and decorated we saw fit. I saw this as the perfect opportunity to use more Copic.

After sketching out the basic dragon outline, I inked it in and started drawing scales. Once that was finished, I covered the design with frisk film. This covers everything I don't want colored in and keeps my white space white. After, I pulled out the airbrush and went over the image with several different shades of green.






You can see the different shades of green. A darker for the bottom and a lighter for the top. This adds a little definition and depth, making the tail seem more round.



The shiny at the top here is the frisk film. It's a life saver when you don't want to tape off an area that is too large. Just lay it down over the image and use an x-acto knife to gently cut along the inside edge of the image. Some overlap helps blend the airbrush with the image.



The head, feet, and paws were done by flattening the superbrush tip against the paper, giving me a slight teardrop shape. Layered on top of each other, those shapes in different colors came together to create a scaled look. I felt it would have taken too long to cover the entire dragon on those little scales however.



By going over the parts of the body that are shadowed by the leg in a darker/more olive green, I can add a little more dimension.



Here in the arm you can see the finished effect.




And in the tail, since the tip coils and overlaps the rest of the tail, we have more shadows.



The head took a bit of time, as I said it's all done in little splotches of color.



This is a shot of the whole piece spread out.



Overall, it's 11 ft long total. The dragon from head to tail is about 7ft long.



All in all, it took about 2 weeks of work to finish. Oh, and it got an A.

I'll post later as to which materials I used and if I can get it to work, a complete picture from the scanner. Now, it's time for the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment